Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Dragons and Vampires

In Rock Creek there are three types. The vampire hunter, the dragon hunter and those that don't matter. Of course there are sub-groups to each of these. Those that will be hunters, those that were hunters, etc. They enjoy all of the niceties of the two "hunter" groups.

There are subdivisions of the "don't matter" group as well. There are the spouses, and I say spouses instead of wives because of the recent rise in female hunters. There's the "support staff" as I like to call them. The shop keepers, the blacksmith, the cooks, etc. Certainly not as well respected as the hunters but respectable. After all they are providing a valuable service to the trade. That cannot go without a polite nod here and there.

At the bottom of the ladder are those like me. Either those who can't hunt (due to some physical restriction) or those who chose not to hunt (me). I would like to think I'm my own group on equal footing with at least the cooks and the blacksmiths, but I know that isn't the case.

I'm bookish. That's what they say. And it doesn't come with a nod.

I wouldn't say I'm unfit or clumsy. I've done fairly well in physical challenges. Better than most actually. And I am interested in the hunt. I think I would do quite well. Physical ability, upbringing, willingness, connects. These are not the cause of my situation. The cause is a theory.

A long time ago, when I was twelve, and primed to go into either the dragon hunting trade or the vampire hunting trade, I came up with an extraordinary theory. A theory that is so outlandish and so groundbreaking it should be hailed as the greatest discovery of our time.

Dragons and vampires are one in the same.

Yes, you heard correctly. I believe dragons and vampires are the same species. Every since this epiphany, I've been obsessed with proving my theory. The more time I spend, the more clues I get and the more history I read, the more obvious this theory becomes to me. Unfortunately, it also increases the skepticism and overall disdain for my presence.

Dragons and vampires are the same creatures. Trust me. Don't dismiss me as a lunatic as most do. Don't scoff and make fun at my expense. Stay with me a while and let me prove my theory to you. I promise, by the end, you will believe every word I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment